Search This Blog

Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Log Splitter




A few weeks ago I ordered a manual log splitter from an on-line company and on Friday it arrived. It's an amazing tool. You place the log in a small cradle and then use the two long handles to operate the hydraulic ram that pushes the log against a metal wedge on the other end. The ram can exert a force of up to 10 tons!
I tried it on a variety of logs, big and small. It worked great. One of the handles has a "fast" speed and the other is slower. So you use the fast one to push the ram up to the log and then a combination of the two to force it against the wedge.
As you can see I managed to split a good little pile of firewood in the half hour or so I was using it.
And the wood shed is now full. Not that I have a stove yet to burn it in. That comes later in the building program...

No comments:

Post a Comment