Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Nature notes



This morning as I walked the narrow path through the meadow on my way to work, I noticed, as if for the first time, the exuberant, delicate beauty of the grasses, especially their seed laden heads. As I stood still and looked, it was as if my world opened up to a new and more wonderful reality.

The spotted towhee is an amusing and attractive bird. A pair of them are nesting somewhere under or close to my trailer. They are noisy and cheerful. Sometimes they tap on the windows as if they want to come in. And they love my truck! They perch on the driver side window “ledge” and admire themselves in the rear view mirror. And shit on my door!

Barn swallows are amazing! Their exhilarating flight, their handsome colours and, their tenacious nest building habits… I am learning by observation how they collect beakfulls of mud and deposit it on their chosen nest location. As the mud dries, they add more until they have formed a nest. Last year they chose to build on the main beam across our living room. This year they have picked the wood trim right over our main entrance door! This has been a battle ground for the past few days. Them, pasting bits of mud on the wood trim. Me, knocking it off. Yesterday the pair of them were perched close to the door and I had a serious chat with them about how this location did not work for me. Today, they seem to have decided to find a new location.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment