Search This Blog

Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Weekend Fun

Posted by PicasaThis is the stage we left the framing on Friday after a week of off and on again progress due to weather and other things. There is one more big wall ready to be raised on Monday morning. It's exciting to see the shape of the house emerge. . .


Yesterday, (Saturday) I had plans to go sailing but when I woke up my conscience got the better of me and I decided to at least make a start on building my wood shed. I used the lumber that was earmarked for the tent platform. (Sorry campers, the woodshed too priority. Anyway, the ground is nice and soft;)




I got the frame up and several rafters in place when I decided to leave it at that and go sailing after all! So by 2:30 I was on board Gwyneth with a nice southeast wind to take me to Heriot Bay on Quadra Island. I had a plan you see... I had noticed an ad in the local paper for a Taurus Party at the "HBI" (Heriot Bay Inn) plus a open mike session. It sounded right up my alley. So I had a nice sail there with some brisk wind to begin with and then it died off a bit so I "hoisted the iron topsail". I pulled into the marina in front of the HBI at 6:30pm. After tidying up the boat I wandered up to check things out (i.e. have a beer) and in the bar I met Mo the open mike host. He said he'd be glad to get me up for a few songs.  So after the hockey game finished (the Canucks lost), the house band started playing and after a few songs invited me up to join them.  I sang four songs and on each the guitar player did some burning hot solos. Major Fun!

Because I am a Taurus I got to wear a lei round my neck and I got two free drinks! Better than a kick in the pants. Anyway, after a while I remembered why I don't like bars and I headed back to Gwyneth for a quiet nights sleep. This morning the wind had shifted around to the northwest (just as I had planned;) and I had a nice broad reach home.






When I got back to May's Garden I saw that Dave, a local logger, had been by and felled the two big fir trees behind the house. The roots of  one of them had been damaged during the excavation and the only safe way to take that one out was for both to go.

Ah well, now I have lots of firewood to fill my new wood shed!

1 comment: