Search This Blog

Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 14th

The house viewed from the southeast, across the meadow. The cedar grove is on the  north side protecting us from the worst of the winter winds. To the right is the fence line of the garden and the walnut trees which are just coming into leaf. The pathway across the meadow is my morning walk to work.
These are the fir beams that form part of the structure of the house. Because they will be visible, they need to be planed and sanded to a nice smooth finish.  I use an electric plane, making multiple passes to remove the rough sawn finish and then I use a belt sander to smooth out the remaining rough spots. It takes about two hours per beam.
And here is the wood shed in progress. Today I got a couple of sheets of metal roofing on but did not have enough to finish it. I'll have to order more for the next delivery from Quadra Builders.




1 comment:

  1. The house is really taking shape now. I just love reading of your progress.

    ReplyDelete