Search This Blog

Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

My Scythe

I bought my scythe at an island "garage sale". It's a modern version with an aluminum handle, very lightweight and easy to use. I am faced with the challenge of a field of long grass that would be difficult to cut with a power mower. My power weedeater would do the job -- slowly and noisily. The scythe is an interesting solution...
First I love the idea of using it! An ancient tool that has been used for thousands of years. How cool is that!
Second, I like the physical movement of using it. It's right from the core. A rythmic swing from the pelvis. It's a beautiful dance.
Third, it is a pretty effective way to cut my long grass. I find I'm making good progress even as a beginner. Through my research online I have learned that a good "mower" using a scythe can cut an acre in a day. It may take me a while to get nto that standard, but I only have about a third of an acre to cut.
And last but not least, I love using my scythe because I can!

(click on iamage to enlarge)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment