Search This Blog

Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

End of summer

This Stellars Bluejay is one of many who like to feed on hazel nuts and anything else they can find around here. Taken through the trailer window.


Sowing winter rye seed. I'm using a gadget I found in a junk store in Vancouver and bought it for its curiousity value. In the back of my mind was this exact scenario, sowing seed on my own land. The way it works is you load the seed into a canvas bag, a small lever opens and closes the feeder slot that lets the seed drop onto a rotating plate with blades that throw it out to the sides. It actually covers a "swath"about 10 - 12ft wide in one pass. The winter rye is a compost crop that gets ploughed back into the soil in spring. here's a link to little YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL00L4cuiTw






Here's the driveway after the ditches were back-filled. If you look closely (click on the photo to enlarge it) you can see an old bath tub that was used for watering livestock. Not sure what to do with it but I'm loathe to throw it out.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. don't throw it out.....I have special designs for that tub. I've always wanted to plant a flower garden in a tub. Can we incorporate it in the rock garden area?

    Nice pics. Looks like you're getting a chance to do some nature walks in your hood.

    keep it coming. I love the updates.
    xo
    m

    ReplyDelete